Clouds

Clouds

Thursday, December 8, 2022

2022 Week 18 (May 3-9): Social: Ladeen Goes to Camp Meeting

 This story was sent to me by my Aunt Ladeen several years ago.

Grandmother Leavelle is Nettie Ida Godley Leavelle, my greatgrandmother. Ladeen is my mother's sister, Maryon Ladeen Lindbeck Maxwell Ezell Ring Ring. They (and many of that side of the family) were Seventh Day Adventists. Part of the social and religious facets of the SDA religion was “Camp Meeting.”

Maryon Ladeen Lindbeck












The camp meeting is a form of Protestant Christian religious service that originated in England and Scotland as an evangelical event in association with the communion season. Camp meetings offered community, often singing and other music, sometimes dancing, and diversion from work.  The Soquel SDA Campground was founded in 1879. It is now part of Yosemite National Park

Well-shaded by pine and fir trees, Soquel Campground provides primitive campsites that can accommodate small trailers and tents. The campground consists of two loops on the banks of Willow Creek with sites located along Willow Creek. Soquel Campground is located in the Highway 41 Corridor of the Bass Lake Ranger District. This area is known for the Nelder Grove of giant sequoias. And is in Madera County, California, within the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Giant Sequoia at Nelder Grove












Aunt Ladeen mentions being a “child bride.” She was married to Eugene Maxwell

Eugene Maxwell, Donald and Lynda (Lindbeck) Mohney,Ladeen (Lindbeck) Maxwell
At Don and Lynda's Wedding on June 19, 1958











"Camping Out With Grandmother"

Grandmother Leavelle announced she wanted me to take her to Camp Meeting. I had only been camping once before in my whole 17 years of life! It sounded like an adventure. I picked her up in a souped up hot rod. (I was a child bride. My husband of 8 months got drafted and was stationed in Germany.) We wrangled Grandmother's foot locker into the car. Somewhere between Fresno, CA, and the Soquel SDA Campground, we bought the groceries we would need for the week. (It actually included 2 weekends - 9 days.)

Grandmother must have been at least 67 or 68. How she slept in a tent on an army surplus folding cot, I can't imagine! My back didn't like it and I was only 17!

She was like an Army Sargent! We were up, had breakfast and off to the 1st preaching service by 6:30 AM. I soon learned the early speakers were the "cream of the crop"

Nettie Ida Godley 












Photos of Nettie Ida Godley Leavelle



























GM urged me to join the mass choir. That was truly a thrilling experience. I could imagine it was almost like being in heaven and singing with the angels! It really impressed me to look out over the vast sea of faces and see how many people there were, just in that area, of like faith. (Plus, there were kids and young people meeting in other big tents. The adults were in a huge auditorium.

Grandmother bought me a book at the book sale. The title is "Lift Him Up." I still have it. I've never forgotten that Camp Meeting and the theme of the book. While by my mistakes in life, I haven't always "lifted him up," I know he forgives. He has kept calling me back to him. I am so thankful for that! I learned to love Camp Meeting. They always have classes on health, money management, marriage counseling and parenting, etc . I never miss a chance to attend Camp Meeting - if at all possible. And I am my own army Sarjent. Yes~I set my alarm and go to the early service.

Written by Ladeen Lindbeck Ring

Aunt Ladeen passed away in June of  2022, and is dearly missed. Born on 27 March 1935 in Arlington, Riverside County, California.

Donna Evalyn Mohney  

December 8, 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment