Clouds

Clouds

Monday, June 27, 2022

Gladys Maxine Mohney Woods Sutherland

My aunt, Gladys Maxine Mohney Woods Sutherland was the oldest daughter of Valentine Edward and Margaret Annetta (Book) Mohney.  She was born 18 April 1820 in West Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and was their third child, as her birth followed 2 brothers, James and Warren, 

Some of the information I have comes from items I found in her home after she passed away.  

A copy of her birth certificate:


Her first birthday card from Mrs. Leslie, the Cradle Roll Superintendent at her church.


A copy of her vaccination record was retained in her paperwork: 



This is a sweet picture of Gladys with her sister, Dorothy and brother, Willis, taken about 1930.

 


I love this photo of her with her sisters, Grace, Dorothy and Margaret, taken about 1933.


She was confirmed at age 17 while the family lived in Lowellville, Mahoning County, Ohio and attended the First Presbyterian Church there. 




My favorite photo is this one, taken with her sister, Grace, both looking stylish.


Other photos:  


I believe this is from a wedding photo of her brother, Warren.  She cut the bride from the photo (probably when they divorced.)  I think the other bridesmaid may have been Wayne's wife, Mary Liston.



Another first! The first photo I've seen of Gladys in pants! (With Bob Woods and possibly, his mother?)












This is Dorothy, Margaret, Bob Woods, and Margaret (Book) Mohney. 





Robert Lincoln Woods became Gladys' husband on 9 April 1945 in Cumberland,

Maryland. 





 








Bob ended up dying alone in the YMCA

 









This marriage was short lived, and they were divorced before 7 June 1951, when she married her second husband, Walker L. (Shorty) Sutherland. They were married in Maryland. He was a railroad fireman from Youngstown, Mahoning County, Ohio and also divorced.  






I believe these picture was at Selinsgrove State School, where her nephew, Robert Edward Mohney lived. She used to go and get him for holidays and visits.

  














Shorty died in 1961 and is buried in Harrisville Prairie Cemetery, Harrisville, Butler County, Pennsylvania.


Gladys worked for many years in the laundry at Youngstown Osteopathic Hospital.

  

In 1981, I had to have a simple surgery at that hospital. My mom was in California, dad was working, and my best friend was taking care of my son, who was only a few months old. I mentioned to one of the nurses that my aunt Gladys worked there. Just as I was being wheeled into the surgery prep room, there she was! They had found her and she came up so I wasn't alone waiting for surgery.

Aunt Gladys loved dogs and always had one- most were what I call Yippers- small and noisy. (Dachsunds, bulldogs, beagles) But they were her babies. She would call my dad and put the dog on the phone to talk to his “uncle Donnie.” He would just shake his head and pass me the phone. (Perhaps that's why I don't like when people talk to dogs and say “Come to mommy,” etc. - I hear dad saying I'm am not that dog's uncle!)

This is her dog, Mister.

  

She also loved crafts and did many. She crocheted and made dolls, including toilet roll covers.



She also was quite a cook. Here are some of her recipes.


  




Many of our family gatherings were held at her house. Some cute kids in these pictures! (Donna, Keith, and Leslie Mohney) Taken in her backyard in 1965. Then the same 3 kids, with Gladys, Dot and Warren at Christmas. Another Christmas with the Mohney and Cook kids in pictures. (Jim Cook doesn't look too happy in one of them!)
  













For a time, Gladys had a friend, Carmen Anzevino, with whom she spent a lot of time. He was a gardner and traveled with her to get Bobby, etc. 




When Gladys retired from the hospital, her friends there threw her a party. 


Her mother, Margaret (Book) Mohney, lived with Gladys until she went into a nursing home.  



On 13 February 1999, Gladys passed away at her home. She was buried next to Shorty at Harrisville.








Donna E. Mohney
27 June 2022
2020 Week 40 (Sept. 30-Oct. 6):Oldest

No comments:

Post a Comment